Saturday, January 23, 2016

Shopping for Buttons and Trimmings in Florence


Shopping for trimmings and buttons is different in Italy.  Here in the USA, for the most part, we walk through a mega store, locate the aisle with a myriad of buttons on cards, or trimmings wrapped on large spools, and ponder the choices on our own.

In Florence, and I suspect throughout most of Italy, they still do this the old fashioned way.  You have to know what you want before you go in the store!

Now, how does one do that?  In my case, I knew that I would be constructing several Little French Jackets (LFJ).  So, I took with me to Italy large enough samples to see what buttons and trimmings would actually go.  

I was the only person in the (tiny!) store, aside from the clerk (and her friend), and my friend.  For an hour and a half, the clerk, her friend, my friend and I carefully chose the buttons and trimmings for five jackets!!  The benefit of having four pair of eyes on each project is that I got a lot of input, and when I was "stuck" there was a consensus.  Now, how great is that!

The photo above is from my favorite "passamanerie" (trimmings store), Valmar, on Via Porta Rossa, 53 R, Firenze.  http://www.valmar-florence.com.

Another question you might have:  how did I know this store is where one goes for buttons and trimmings for clothing?  Nothing in the window or on display in the store gives much of a clue.   Confession:  I have a little book, "Finding Fabric and Fashion Abroad--Florence" by Jennefer Penfold.  It was published in 2012, so not everything is up-to-date, but it was a help to me in the beginning.

So, for a tiny little "insider" experience, if you go to Italy, and you are a sewist looking for buttons and trimmings, keep this word in mind, "passamanerie."



4 comments:

  1. SO cool!! Thanks. I was immediately sure that I had peered in the window of that store at some point.

    I often buy buttons for knitting projects, and for that I go to a little merceria in the same street as the supermarket Pegna (I can never remember the names of streets, as it has been years since I have looked at a map). Like most mercerie in Florence or that I have been to in Italy, it looks like not much on the outside but inside the selection of buttons for a knitter is great.

    You've hit on the thing I love best about Italy. When you go to a store you need to know what you are looking for, and the people who are selling know their stuff. I love that they will offer their knowledgeable opinions, too.

    I'm going to check out that book, too - thanks.

    PS Love the title of your blog. I admit to feeling really really guilty often about buying so much fabric though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, it's via dello Studio..the same street as the workshop where they do repairs for the Duomo. Lovely to find another lover of Florence. I am terrible with BlogSpot...I can't seem to figure out how to sign up for your blog posts!

      Delete
    2. I also visited another trimmings and button shop, called Samba Mercerie, near the Pegna, but I thought it was on V. Santa Elizabetta. Perhaps it's the same one? They had a big selection buttons, and my friend who knits did buy some spectacular samples there!

      Delete
  2. creativity of writer is purely impressive. It has touched to the level of expertise with his writing. Everything is up to the mark. Written perfectly and I can use such information for my coming assignment.นาฬิกา สาย หนัง

    ReplyDelete