Sunday, November 13, 2016

The Italian Collection #1


I spent the month of October in Florence, Italy.  Here's a photo of me in the T.A.C.S. Casentino wool store at Borgo Santi Apostoli 43r, just off Via Tornabuoni.  One can order yardage in the colors shows on the chart, in any amount.  This traditional fabric has been made for over 500 years in the Tuscan countryside, and is commonly used for men's overcoats.  I ordered two meters of the reddish brown second from the left.  Here's what I got:



Brighter, and lighter than I expected, but it's a nice rust that will go well with black, brown, gray and ivory.  And, a close-up of the textured surface:


It's quite a thick, heavy fabric (as befitting overcoats), so I am going to look for a simple design.  I'm thinking maybe a cape??  Does anyone have a pattern suggestion?

1 comment:

  1. Oh no, sorry to hear that the colour isn't as you expected. I know you wanted something that isn't dull, but were hoping for something a bit closer to walnut maybe. I still think it's beautiful. I saw a guy in the traditional bright orange the other day and I thought he looked striking, so maybe the brighter colour is a nudge? I could see a traditional overcoat with a shawl collar maybe in this, or a cape would certainly be lovely. I don't have any pattern suggestions but will let you know if I see something.

    ReplyDelete