Monday, November 21, 2016

The Italian Collection #2

Here's the Casentino wool again, along with several other pieces. Actually the very first piece I bought was a black wool end cut from Valentino.  Stephanie, who blogs over at "My Vintage Inspiration" has mentioned Salvatore Magherini's Tessuti store on Via Romana 1/R in Florence.  

My apartment was very near to Salvatore's store, so one afternoon I just popped in and asked if he remembered the "donna di Canada" and he did, of course.  We had a nice chat about his fabrics, which are mostly from a store in Bologna that went out of business.  At one point Salvatore was a sarto, a tailor, so he is quite the expert.  The black wool has a subtle pattern, almost like a plaid, created with yarns of a different thickness.  I'd love to find a Vintage Vogue Valentino skirt pattern, but the only one I've seen on eBay is a wrap style, and the fabric is too heavy for that.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice again! I saw your Casentino wool in the same color on a tailored coat on a handsome man the other day. I wanted to take a photo for you but I was too slow on the draw and he got away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Lynn, I haven't seen any vintage Vogue Valentino skirt patterns other than my longer one that I'm working on right now, from the 1970s. When I see vintage patterns from him they are usually dresses. I'm wondering if you could find something nice from Fabiani or Simonetta, etc. I could definitely see the black as a beautiful skirt. Do you prefer a true pencil skirt or something a bit A-line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a slight A-line wold be more flattering for me. Good idea to look at vintage patterns from other Italian designers! Thanks!

      Delete