Monday, June 20, 2016

Sewing Vintage #1


I hadn't really thought about it this way, but apparently I have a "collection" of vintage patterns.  Mostly, because I am loathe to throw anything away.  My female ancestors were like that also.. That's why I have my great-grandmother's wedding bodice from 1888 (a post for another day).

After I graduated from university, where I majored in Home Economics with an emphasis on Textiles and Clothing, I went to San Francisco to work in the Macy's Junior Executive Training Program.  It was a fairly brief stint, as I discovered the retail business and I weren't really suited to each other.  

But while I was there, I used my employee discount to buy designer patterns and the best fabric I could find.  Unfortunately for my budget, Britex Fabrics was right around the corner from Macy's (still is, actually).  The one piece I remember clearly buying from Britex was a yard of beautiful silk charmeuse in a gorgeous yellow and black print.  One yard cost me $25, and I remember thinking how fortunate I was to be able to sew a blouse out it.  At the same time, a colleague bought a RTW blouse that cost her weekly salary, which was around $80! 

The patterns in the photo above are representative of the wardrobe I was busy creating a home, at night, in my tiny studio apartment halfway up Nob Hill.  My fiancé was away training to be an officer in the army, and I planned to have a wardrobe worthy of any officer's wife.  Back in the day, we actually did wear gloves on the street and hats to tea and church.

I made up the two on the left, and even duplicated the emerald green color of the Pierre Cardin.  There was a matching coat, but I didn't really get much use out of either until we returned to California four years later, as my husband and I were posted to Taiwan.  Because the weather on Taiwan was mostly hot and humid, I ended up having to make a wardrobe of mostly cotton and linen.

There are lots of other patterns.  I have been going through them to see what might be useful in my wardrobe today.  There's this:


I have been wanting a Safari Suit, and this might just be the boost I need to start planning it.  All the pieces in the pattern have been cut, but I can't remember what I made from it.  I do remember making up the jumpsuit in an aubergine knit, which I paired with an ankle length sweater in a Missoni-esque design.

Since I am no longer a size 8, I will either have to grade up the pattern, or (and this is more likely) I will take the design details and apply them to one of my TNT patterns.

What about you?  Have you ever sewn from a vintage pattern?  Have you ever intentionally used a design detail from the past?

5 comments:

  1. Lynn, I can't believe I missed this post! I have had an extraordinarily busy summer this year, with a change in jobs a couple of weeks ago and having to complete work at the old job and the new. This is such an interesting story. I have considered buying that 2370 pattern as I love it. Go for it!

    It sounds as though you have had both an interesting history and a great style through the different decades. I absolutely love that green dress. I would wear that in a heartbeat.

    I would love to see a post on the bodice from 1888. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness what beautiful patterns! Can I visit? :) Thank you Stephanie for introducing me to Lynn's blog. I'm going to sit down with a cuppa and peruse xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynn, what wonderful Vogue patterns you have. i'd love to make any of those dresses! Wish I were a vintage size 8 myself. I've made a few vintage pieces--a 50s dress for Katie that included foldover pockets and a circle skirt, a sleeveless 60s top for me recently too. I find my waistline is too big for those old sizes. :) Kim Castle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim--I'd love to see photos of you two! And I really like the summer dresses you make for your Mom!

      Delete